Can dogs eat grapes?
Many dog owners prefer natural foods, such as vegetables and fruits to commercial dog foods because they are high in calories and can contain dangerous preservatives or chemicals that can shorten dog’s life spans by as much as eight years.
Can dogs eat grapes? No, dogs and grapes are a potentially deadly combination. In fact grapes and raisin/dried grapes toxicity has been well documented in dogs. However, the exact substance causing the toxic reaction has not yet been identified but dogs should never eat raisins and grapes because even small amounts are fatally toxic for a dog. Dogs of any breed, gender or age may be affected but the effects usually vary for some dogs are more affected than others.
Once a dog eats grapes or raisin, there will be changes in behaviour and some symptoms include; vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, unusual quietness, weakness, abdominal pain, dehydration, oliguria (passing small amounts of urine), anuria (no urine is released), kidney/renal failure and finally death, kidney (renal) failure and in extreme cases death.
As soon as you suspect that your dog has consumed grapes, quickly contact your veterinarian without any delay. This is an emergency situation that needs immediate action and treatment before grape’s toxins are absorbed by the dog’s body.
The first process of treatment usually involves getting rid of the toxins from the dog’s system.
This is accomplished by inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal and implementing fluid therapy. The dog should then be hospitalized with medication to enable urine flow, continued fluid therapy and daily diagnostic tests monitoring kidneys and their associated blood values.
If your dog ingests a few grapes and gets immediate treatment before the harmful toxins are absorbed into his body tissues, he will have the best chance for quick recovery. Once the kidneys begin to fail, the prognosis becomes poor and they are unable to repair or regenerate themselves. Some dogs recover from grape or raisin toxicity but may develop permanent kidney damage.
Always keep grapes and raisins out of your dog’s reach and menu, as dogs will eat almost anything they find. Be aware of foods that are toxic to dogs such as onions, garlic and chocolate. Always be keen to discover changes in dog behaviour or any symptoms resulting from dog ingesting grapes or raisin and act immediately to avoid a more complicated situation.
Never use raisins or grapes as ingredients for baking homemade biscuits for your dog and never share your raisin cereal with your dog. Moreover, you should not give your dog grape jelly, grape fruit popsicles or grape juice.
You should also note that wine contains alcohol and is made from grapes making the drink a toxicity nightmare for your dog. Alcoholic beverages are also toxic for dogs and can result in coma, seizures and death.
Feeding dogs with grapes spells trouble. Anyway there are some fruit alternatives which are safe for your dog to eat in moderation. Some of the fruits include strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, pineapple, watermelon, pears and apples. More info on the topic